Monday, July 26, 2010

A challenge and a half!



We have an awesome shop about 20mins drive from our house called 'Skinnys' that sell all things skin-related! (which for me means awesome furs!). They had a big pile of offcuts, with some amazing textures and colours. There was a bright lolly-pink piece that would have looked awesome as an insert against Chelsea's lime green pram, but wasn't quite big enough.

In the end, after a long discussion with the sales lady about the potential of making bears from the offcuts, and/or possibly using kangaroo skins (wasn't too sure about that), I decided to go with a beautifully silky cream piece of lambskin.


I am sure you've all felt lambswool before - including how dense they are!? In comparison to the most dense mohair I've ever used, this stuff is probably 10 times thicker! Which has led to some interesting design and sewing issues...

Unless this bear turns out like a masterpiece, I can't see myself doing this again. It is hard work! (and I haven't even sewn it all yet!)


Oh - and I have some offcuts from the offcut if anyone thinks they might be able to use them. I have some pieces of leather and fur intact, and also some loose wool. If you think you might be able to use either the wool, or the skin pieces, or both, send me an email at eleb2000@hotmail.com. All I'll need is the cost of the postage - you can have the fur for free. Just don't like to see it go to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment