Saturday, April 2, 2011
the experimentation continues
After taking into consideration the odd-ness of my last creation Pomona, I decided to design a new bear head shape to see if that would look any better with the big eyes I've been using. I've never been very good at conceptualising pattern pieces in 3D. Give me the simplicity of arms/legs/bodies/ears, even feet, but heads have always been my sore spot.
But I bravely drew, and traced and cut and sewed... and Bithia was born. She was less shocking on the 'turning right way out' reveal than Pomona was, but still a little more odd than I was going for. I designed her a squat little body to add to the cartoon-ness of her look, and have to say that I quite like her overall appeal. So much in fact that I've made some adjustments to this pattern and have the second generation bear in the works right now too! I'm hoping to make the head a little more rounded and less triangle, but I still want to keep the essence of the pointy nose... so stay tuned for more experimental updates!