Saturday, February 19, 2011

Work in progress


I think one of my favourite things to read/look at in other people's blogs is work in progress shots, or before and after images. Or even just process pictures that show how a bear comes together in that artist's style.

So with that in mind I thought I'd take the time to take a before-ish shot of my latest bear. Its not the clearest image, but does show the colouring of this awesome mohair nicely (hand dyed by Allison from e-teddies).

This bear has hand sculpted clay eyelids around handmade Russian coloured glass eyes and a hand sculpted nose. The nose I love. I think it looks really cute. The eyes I'm not so sold on. I have had nothing but trouble with those handmade eyes! :P I think I purchased about 50 pairs, and if I'm honest I have only been happy with maybe half a dozen bears I've used them on. For the most part the centres (being hand-set) just don't line up, meaning the bear will have one eye looking forward, but the other will be ever-so-slightly looking upwards, or sidewards or any other way besides frontwards! It's really frustrating, and I should really stop using them. But they are just such lovely colours that I can't help it. Every few months I seem to forgot the frustration and whip out another pair to use!

So I'm hoping my decision to use them on this green bear has been the right one. Only time will tell I suppose. I'll just have to wait and see how he/she looks when finished.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to meeting the finished bear. I've painted about 5 pairs of eyes now to use on bears, and chickened out of using them every single time - doh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of being a real bear artist is trying new angles. Ah ha. I love my old guys... :-) x x x

    ReplyDelete