Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Evil Peanuts


My poor baby has an allergy. Which is so odd, as neither Mark nor I have any allergies. Not my parents nor his. Nor our collective grandparents/extended family. So this has just come out of no where!

When she first started eating solids I was so careful to follow all the recommended guidelines. Introducing certain foods at certain ages. When she was getting close to 12months I started giving her little tastes of peanut butter - no problem. I assumed it was all fine.

Then a few weeks ago I purchased an all natural 100% roasted peanuts, peanut butter. I thought I was doing the 'healthy' thing. I gave Chels a bite the size of my thumbnail and her chin went all blotchy. I kept an eye on her, but it went down about half an hour later. I made a mental note to keep an eye on her after eating anything peanuty.

Yesterday, I was eating a muesli bar and without thinking gave her a bite. It had peanuts in it. Immediately she got all blotchy again. But it seems to subside after an hour or so. However, while I was bathing her I noticed her tummy and bottom were bright red and bumpy. Like hundreds of ant bites. I put some cream on her while I was dressing her. Gave her a bottle then went to check her nappy before putting her down for the night - she was COVERED in the rash!!! This was 5 hours after eating the muesli bar.

We took her to our local hospital and they gave her a drug to help ease the reaction. She was tired, and itchy, but handled everything beautifully! This morning you wouldn't even know it had happened!!!

I am just in a little bit of shock that she has this allergy. It just seems to have come from nowhere... Anyone else out there in blog-land had any similar reactions? I'm taking her to get fully checked out on Friday, so hopefully we should know soon if its just peanuts, or if there are more things we need to watch out for!

10 comments:

  1. There's no rhyme or reason to allergies... they are not hereditary so that means absolutely nothing in regards to her having them. It is a scary thing to have a nut allergy and hopefully she will outgrow it. There are thankfully many companies now that make peanut free products and they all have the peanut on the label with the X through it. Poor little Angel... you're a good Mom getting her to the hospital so quickly! Blessings to you both

    ReplyDelete
  2. so scary! my 4 yo had a reaction similiar to penicillin. started out with his cheeks so rosy but then they became bumpy, then proceeded to travel down his body. his poor little tush was so red! some benedryl and he was fine! nut allergies are worse though because they put it in so many things. glad everything all better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first saw the photo I thought of my adult daughter and her reaction to so-called "green" laundry detergent. There's something in it that gives her a rash. Hopefully your daughter's only allergic to a few things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww, poor little baby! I know that a lot of times babies will outgrow allergies. My niece was terribly allergic to dairy and tomatoes when she was an infant, but after a few years it went away. I hope that will be the case with your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pobrecito, que mal lo habra pasado.
    Las alergia igual que vienen se van.
    Espero que se mejore pronto. Lo mejor es que le hagas las pruebas de alergia para evitar estos sustos.
    Un besito muy fuert para tu bebe.
    Besitos, May

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor little Chelsea. Give her a big hug from me! Alergies are a bad thing, it's the same what. I hope you hear good news on Friday and she has only one alergie.
    Blessings to you and Chelsea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks everyone. She has seemed a lot better today. A bit grumpy, but that's to be expected after a late night. I was looking through our pantry and nearly all of the products say 'may contain traces of peanuts'! So we may be in for an interesting time if that is what it turns out to be. And fingers crossed she outgrows it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh poor baby! mikey gets irritated skin sometimes. like his cheeks turn pink and splotchy. but not that bad. i hope she is much better! give her some extra kisses! huggs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Siento mucho lo de tu bebe!!!!!
    Las alergias son muy alarmantes, pero con tratamiento no debes preocuparte tanto.
    Espero que se recupere pronto.
    besitos para los dos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow.... that's scary.... poor little thing.....

    ReplyDelete