Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Time out for a bit of painting.


Mark recently suggested that I should take up painting again, as it was something I used to enjoy in my teens, but hadn't had a chance to do in a long time. So I pondered on the idea for a while. I would need to buy EVERYTHING again - paints, brushes, canvas, sketch book, pencils, mixing pads... I had nothing left from my early days of painting. But I the idea wouldn't leave me alone, so I just did it.

I bought a few small stretched canvases, a small packet of brushes and a sample set of acrylic colours. And a sketch book. And spent many hours brainstorming ideas and just drawing. It was actually really nice to be drawing for a different purpose. Not because I needed to make a new bear pattern - but 'just because'.

These are the resulting ooak original paintings.


My kids have been really excited about the paintings too. My 5yr old came home from preschool and just stood in front of the counter where I had this owl painting drying, staring at it for a few minutes.

She then asked, 'mum, why is there a teddy in the tree?'

'Um... I'm not actually sure Chels. Maybe someone left him there after they had a picnic, and forgot about him? The owl looks like he's saying 'who is this in my tree!?' doesn't he?'

She had a little giggle then got on with her afternoon (demanding snacks while I cook dinner - that kind of fun parenting stuff).







I just about used my whole tube of yellow for this one! I do love the texture in it though - I managed to track down some impasto which has let me achieve the texture on the centre of the sunflowers here, and the texture in the bark and the owl's belly on the painting above.



And this one is my all time favourite so far! I only dreamed of being able to paint like this in art class. I honestly don't know how/why I suddenly can, but I am quite chuffed with it.

Many hours went into the detail on this one. And it actually looks just as good from a distance as it does up close. You're eyes are drawn more to the shape of the nude lady from a distance, and up close you see more of the surreal landscape detailing.




I've set up a special section for these paintings on our website as well if you're interested in a piece of 'Emma's Bears' canvas art!? lol
All one of a kind, hand painted on quality gallery-style stretched canvases.
Something a little different :)



No comments:

Post a Comment