Friday, May 9, 2014
I've been working on a new idea/design for a few weeks now - a mermaid bear. I've seen 'merbears' around in my travels, but have never attempted one myself. The photo above was my first sneak-peek pic for facebook before we started sewing the tail scale-sequins on one by one! (yep... it took quite a few hours! lol). The photo below is a half-way through progress shot taken last night.
... and then, it felt as if it was 'just like that' - and she was finished!
We took Talulah down to the waterfront this afternoon to try and get some nice photos of her on the sand by the water. But the weather was a little iffy, and the sand a little wet... so we resigned ourselves to the edge of the esplanade instead! (It was also REDICULOUSLY windy, so getting photos where her tail-fin wasn't flapping about like a flag was challenging as well).
I LOVE her tail. I just love it. If I'm 100% honest with you, this project has been my favourite so far this year. It appeals to my inner girl, and takes me back to a time where I would watch 'The Little Mermaid' on video over and over.
We carefully hand-painted Talulah's eyes to matching in with her aqua/salmon colour scheme, and sculpted some feminine lids. She also has inktense eye-shadow and soft eyelashes to complete her look!
Talulah is honestly a one of a kind. I don't think I could ever begin to replicate her even if I wanted to! She is currently available in our etsy store.