Monday, July 6, 2015

The Handmade Expo


We found out about a local handmade goods market recently, and thought it might be a good opportunity to get 'Fur Addiction' out there a bit more. The location was lovely (indoors) and we had a nice big 3m x 3m space. No tables were provided though, so I had to lug our stupidly heavy trestle tables from the car to our position in the hall before I could begin unloading and setting up. Despite this I still managed to be fully set up in about 45mins. (I was pretty chuffed as this was the first market/show I've done on my own!).  


We decided that we'd bring some of our handmade guinea pig bedding as well, and we got lots of comments on the sweet little guinea pig plushie sitting in the purple bed there - although he was mistaken for a hamster a few times! lol



It was really lovely to actually meet customers in person and talk through aspects of bear collecting and bear making. We've been running Fur Addiction for just over 3 years now, and I hadn't realised how isolating it can be running a mail order business from home. It's been 6 years since I left my job as a youth social worker just before Chelsea was born, so it has been a long time since I've had regular adult conversations that weren't with my poor hubby Mark! I think we'll be doing a few more markets for the last half of 2015 as they are a lot of fun, and the in-person contact with our customers is invaluable.


We dyed up a new batch of hand-dyed mohair for the show as well. It has been picked through pretty well, but there are still some lovely pieces left in our 'Hand Dyed Mohair' store section. We're nearly sold out of our hand painted glass eyes as well - down to the last pair/s for each colour batch, but I do plan to paint up a new lot this week... hopefully (it is school holidays though, so no promises!!). If there was a particular colour you really liked, it might pay to grab it now before I steal all the old stock for future Emma's Bears, and to clear the way for the new colours!

We also have a new batch of German mohair on its way as well! We'll let you know when it arrives!






No comments:

Post a Comment