Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pinky-tone rainbow bears this time


I was asked to do some rainbow mohair dyeing as a custom job recently, and as always I painted up way too many pieces of mohair. So what didn't sell as part of the order I decided to use for some rainbow bears. The order request was for rainbow fur but in a more pink-based tone like my earlier dye-techniques, rather then the red/orange based rainbow mix I had been using lately. And I must say... I do like the pink!

It feels like it has been a little while now since I've made some of my distinctive rainbow creations... at least from mohair anyways (we do have a lot of rainbow faux fur in stock at present! lol).


This chunky little lady is 'Violetta'. When I started writing this blog post she was actually still available for adoption, but just in the last few minutes someone has snapped her up!




This is the mohair Violetta was cut from. I LOVE doing the crazy patterns and then cutting a bear from it. Due to the shapes and sizes of bear-pattern-pieces you usually don't even recognise that there was any kind of pattern to the original fur fabric!





The shape of Violetta may look familiar too - we cut her out using our chunky and very versatile 'Delight' pattern. 


~*~


Then there was THIS piece of mohair. 

This is actually a piece of our long-pile white 'Eddie' mohair rainbow dyed as well. This was a spare of the moment decision just to use up the last of the dye in the pots (I do hate to waste things!). I quite literally just wet the fabric, squeezed out the excess water, lay it on a black towel and blobbed the dye on in wiggly lines. 

Usually I'd be very careful to evenly place the colours and to blend it well and to make sure both the pile and the backing had good coverage. But this time it was just fast and furious - and I LOVED the result! 

A few hours of sun-time meant the colours were set really well, and even after a spin in the washing machine to remove excess dye, the colour was still nice and vibrant. (I may be going on and on a bit about colour here - but trust me, it isn't as easy as it looks to get colour like this on long pile mohair!!! lol) 



This is little Opal. She has already found her new home as well.






And then this little bear below is 'Prism'. She is actually the last of the trio to still be available for adoption. 





1 comment:

  1. Cute and beautiful. So happy you chose Opal and Prism as I also picked for them. Lucky person who has adopted these sweeties <3

    ReplyDelete