Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Babies!



I seem to do the same thing every time I'm pregnant. I get to about the 6-7month mark, and then I start looking at reborn dolls on ebay. They're SO realistic, and some of them are just breathtakingly stunning ( and some not so much! lol). But they've always been a little out of my budget - so I just look, and admire. But within a few months I then had a baby of my own - and ALL desire for one of the dolls flies out the window!

This time is much the same with the hormonal urges - but there won't be a baby to distract me at the end. So I decided to re-imagine an old design idea of mine from about 7yrs ago: 'Reborn Baby Bears'.
(I actually have a section for them in my bearpile archives if you're curious to see the previously adopted babies).


So for the last few weeks I've been giving into my love of shopping for kids clothes, and buying quite a few gorgeous, quality designer baby items specifically for the baby bears.

The first bear to be 'born' was gorgeous little 'Eloise Ruby'.






Name: Eloise Ruby 
Born: 26/1/13
Time: 9:23pm 
Weight: 5 lb 1 oz


Length: 45cm




Eloise was made in a STUNNING piece of deluxe white German mohair that arrived in our last FurAddiction import shipment. I was a bit naughty and kept it back from general sale, knowing I'd want to make something very special in it. We paired the white mohair with our previously imported baby-pink kid mohair to create a very special little girl.

She has been designed so that the pink mohair looks like she's wearing a pink-onesie outfit. I've even hand sewn some spotted pink ribbon ruffles around the 'sleeve' line and made her a white lace and pink ribbon elasticated headband to match. Eloise also comes with her brand new 'Pumpkin Patch' branded ruffle jumpsuit, and a very cute 'Ollie and Me' teddy rattle.

I just find myself coming back to this image of her and feeling so proud that I made her! She's still available for adoption at the moment, but is on the more costly side of things due to her deluxe (and expensive) mohair, and her very heavy weight. Posted outside of Australia, with full express insured airmail postage, her new mum is looking at a total adoption fee of $300 AUD. (Australian collectors will pay a little less then this).


~*~



This little treasure is 'Max Thomas', the second of our newest reborn baby bears to be completed last week. He is a slightly different style in that his whole body was made from a gorgeous butter-yellow distressed mohair (also a piece I held back from our latest German import!). The colour is so soft and the fur so lovely that it was just begging to be turned into a little baby boy.




Name: Max Thomas 

Born: 26/1/13
Time: 9:50pm 
Weight: 5 lb 3 oz

Length: 45cm




Max comes with a tiny newborn sized disposable nappy with a little ducky picture on the front, as well as his brand new 'Ollie and Me' puppy rattle and a soft wrap-over 'Pumpkin Patch' aqua blue onesie.

He ended up weighing in at just a little more then Eloise too... we must have been a little more heavy handed with the steel and glass beads! My favourite part about this design is the heavy-heads. We've distributed the weight throughout the bear's entire bodies so that when you hold them, you do need to scoop them all up like a real baby and support the head.

My 4yr old Chelsea was sitting with me while I was closing the seams on the weekend, and promptly declared that they were both HERS after I let her give one a cuddle. She became a girl on a mission to secure the bears for her collection of baby dolls - but I had to keep explaining that these were Mummy's work, and they needed to go for sale. (We ended up buying her a realistic looking baby doll from the shops the next day, so she's been loving hard on him instead!).


Baby Max is also available for adoption, and his overall price including the express insured airmail postage is $290AUD (slightly cheaper as he didn't require quite as much detailing as Eloise).

I have another five of these baby-bears cut and ready to sew. And I hope to finish them before my own due date, but you never know what life is going to bring - and they do take quite a bit of time. So if you do like one of these babies, my advice is to grab them while you can as they really are one of a kind!



2 comments:

  1. They are beautiful. I wish I had the spare money. I especially love Max. As a bear maker myself (of very simple, basic bears) I so admire your work and love to see your new creations.
    Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...aren't they all so adorable and beautiful!
    And Congrats for the Happy News to come..!
    Hugs
    Kikka

    ReplyDelete